Monday, June 25, 2012

Lots of Pictures

Here of are a whole bunch of pictures. The first bunch are from the first two weeks after we got home. So Jube still has his long hair. Below, a milk break—at about 4 a.m. when we were still working on jet lag issues.
IMG_3596
My man climbed this tree to cut down some of the offending burls. The birds who come to this tree, leave behind droppings, which plant suckers right into the tree limb. So another kind of limb starts to grow, making a big burl and zapping the rest of the branch from its nutrients. We’re hoping to save the tree, but it really took a downhill plunge while we were in the states.
IMG_3599IMG_3600
Water play. I had to take this picture to celebrate the warmth of Thailand after being cold for so long.
IMG_3601
Cell group. Pii Kay, and Melissa, who is now back in the States. We miss her.
IMG_3690
Halla and Emma.
IMG_3691
Dru, Arlin, Champ, Orlando, and Scott.
IMG_3692
Putting his bike away before it starts to rain hard. We’d just driven home on the motorbike, so he’s in his rain coat and helmet.
IMG_3693
Licking beaters.
IMG_3696
A break from mowing lawn. ‘Twas a warm day.
IMG_3699
He’s cooking. The box is his stove.
IMG_3701     
Dragon fruit. Havilah loves it.
IMG_3702
Another milk break.
IMG_3808
My friend Lia. She’s from Indonesia, married to an American—a Beachy man from PA, no less. Right now Michael is finishing up at Payap and then they’re planning to move to Southern Thailand. I was at her house because we swapped cooking lessons. She taught me to make lemon chicken and I taught her cinnamon rolls. It was a nice day. And by the way, this woman amazes me. She falls into the category of super-woman if you ask me.
IMG_3817
Children in the pool and Timmy stitching raisins from the rolls.
IMG_3816IMG_3818
People ask me how it’s going with Dru in school. I love it. He’s in his element. And, at least for this semester, his homework load is not unreasonable. He’s less busy now than he was before, planning English lessons. We both feel like this period of our lives is a huge gift from God. We didn’t realize how much pressure we were under until now, when we’re not under it anymore.
IMG_3820
If you look closely, you can see one of our “pet” lizards. We even have one who sports a blue head. (This is not him.)
IMG_3835IMG_3836
Before.
IMG_3825
After: Havilah’s Happy Birthday Cake.
IMG_3838
When I was in school my sister and I took cake decorating classes. The final day we were supposed to do a cake. For Jenny and I, it turned out awful. Just not our thing. When we walked into the yard with downcast faces, Mom was in the garden. She was so sympathetic and understanding! She quit her work and came inside and we talked about it. It was a bad day, but it was a good day in that Mom “got it.”  So now, over a decade later, this is my victory cake. The frosting tasted awful because I didn’t follow a recipe—but it turned out cute.  Jube wants a snowman cake for his birthday. I’ll follow a recipe for the frosting and I think we’ll be just fine.
IMG_3840
Yes, you can see that my hand is unsteady and it’s not perfect, but I’m unashamed of this lady bug and his (Jube insists that it’s a daddy lady bug) children. 
IMG_3839
Havilah’s Birthday Picnic on the mountain.
IMG_3852

IMG_3855

IMG_3860

IMG_3863
Of course I forget the candle! 
IMG_3875
Once the frosting was gone, she was done with the cupcake.
IMG_3877IMG_3883
My good man.
IMG_3896
Watermelon beats cupcakes any day.
IMG_3901IMG_3902
Happy Birthday my special little girl. How did you get to be one year old so fast?
IMG_3905

4 comments:

  1. I remember that day, too, Lisl. I still don't know how to decorate cakes and would rather not have to try. Your grandma always made such fun cakes, remember? for your birthdays. This Marmee will have to figure out something else to do for birthdays for the grandchildren.
    Thanks for the picture update.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that day too... and I still hate decorating cakes. I think a nice tradition for me to start in this family is to buy a pretty cake from DQ or something. Your ladybugs are very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why do I remember the decorating class but not that last day??? Hm... I must have been busy with something else. Anyways, your ladybugs are darling, so are your children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your ladybugs too! Tell Jube I think this def. looks like a mom ladybug! I'm not a birthday cake decorator either,I finally just let them decorate it and they have a blast "designing" it!:)

    ReplyDelete