Friday, January 27, 2012

A Conglomeration Of Thoughts


Firstly, I’d like to say thank to all of you readers who commented on my last post. Wow! I wasn’t expecting that many comments. Some of you are people I don’t even know. That’s scary! But thanks for reading anyhow. I guess I’ll keep writing.
Some of you said you liked my posts about motherhood. And I asked myself, “Do I write about motherhood?” Then it occurred to me that since I am a mother and being a mother takes up most of my life, then it would be only natural that I might write about motherhood from time to time.
My motherhood tidbit for today is to day that Jubilant seems to be coming through the tantrum stage. Now, he’ll settle for wailing, but I don’t like that either. Why would a child chose to sit on a chair and wail piteously, when he is fully capable of not crying? So, the “You sit on this chair until you can be quiet,” thing doesn’t really work if the goal  is for him to be quiet. Oh, dear. But at least he’s more cautious about screaming and kicking. After some discussion as to the cause of these fits, my wise husband concluded that regardless, the answer would be the same. Prayer and discipline. The episode did drive both of us to some prayer and soul searching though. But why do kids do that?
Dru said this morning that we’re going to go home and be mortified at our children’s behavior when we compare it to their cousins'. And he said it will probably be good for us. It really is hard to lose your bearings. Should this child know better? How do I handle this situation? How can I shepherd this two year old today?
Thoughts on food: I’m very thankful for the food culture of this city. The ability to buy your food ready-made for nearly the same price as you grocery shop has saved my bacon more than once. Dru says it’s a bit more, but it’s close enough that he doesn’t mind buying a rice meal a couple times a week to help his wife out now and then. He’s going to buy supper tonight. I’m going to clean the house. Maybe when Havilah is weaned I’ll quit getting these freak tired and lazy feeling streaks. I want to do stuff but my brain won’t tell the rest of me to wake up. It’s the biggest pain.
Right now I’m enjoying Thai food. I still maintain that Thai people eat some weird stuff. But they know how to have fun with flavors. Dru bought me a Thai cook book for my birthday. It’s actually simple enough that this farang might be able to pull a lot of the recipes off if she exerts herself. Thai cooking is simple. Most Thai women don’t use/own recipe books. I bet there are more Thai cook books written in English than in Thai. There was one thing I found to be interesting about this new cook book. One recipe called for Greek Yogurt. Can I even find that here? The cook book is written for westerners, so I have a feeling it was using yogurt to mimic something else it could have called for. 
Pastor Kiat’s in the US right now. He told Dru the other day via skype that American food is boring. I guess it is. I’m sure it is quite bland. But I like bland food. And I’ve also discovered that I don’t have to eat spicy food if I don’t want to. (It took me about three years to figure that out.)
Yesterday was my birthday and Dru took me up the mountain. Do you ever get tired of pictures of my kids?
 IMG_2204
I truly feel sorry for my children. Everywhere they go they are mobbed by people adoring them and wanting to take a picture. Don’t do this to every foreign kid you see, okay? It gets old and Jube is waxing rude. What to do?
IMG_2217
IMG_2240
IMG_2247
IMG_2256
IMG_2261IMG_2280IMG_2282IMG_2284IMG_2287IMG_2288
Jube loved the rocks. Up and down and up and down and around and around. I made the decision not to be mother hennish and paranoid, but to let him play as long as he didn’t get out of sight.
IMG_2315
I like to go up the mountain. It gets me out of the city. I always enjoy it. Even with having to chase children. Love it.

6 comments:

  1. "Dru said this morning that we’re going to go home and be mortified at our children’s behavior when we compare it to their cousin’s."
    Humph! The cousin at this house won't be anything to be scared of!
    (I just read the quote to Clark and he is laughing.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, our children are practically perfect in every way! ~GB (p.s. I've got some ocean front property in Kansas you might be interested in....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, all I know is that I have totally fallen head over heels in love with those little pixie ears. I cannot wait to make her acquaintance. Hurry home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You oughta hear some of the war whoops that get yelled out around here...during nap-time to... Cant't wait to see you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lisl...I can only imagine how your darling, blond headed, little children get mobbed when you are out and about there in Thailand! I mean, the thought of taking our three out in public in that country makes me want to ...hmmm...not sure what. :) Lots of wisdom and grace and power to you! Can't wait to see you guys!!
    Love,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoy your blog... thank you for sharing from the heart!!! blessings on your day, and your mothering. Isn't it nice to know that you are not alone?? love your honesty!

    ReplyDelete