Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Sometimes, life looks like this:

Don’t say you weren’t warned. Last night late, we went to see the Beachy’s in at the airport. We slept in this morning and by the time I awoke, it was already warming up for the day. The children were grouchy. Havilah is being potty trained…so little else mattered besides happy children and potty training Havilah. And now this is what the house looks like. Isn’t it fantastic? Rachel, this should impress you. Especially as I’m sitting in front of the computer and the house is no better off now as what these pictures show. Not even sure if Frank has seen my house like this. The point is that today it doesn’t matter—when usually I can’t stand it when my world is so topsy turvy. But I’m too warm today to care. And I’m superbly happy with my children. Havilah is doing very well with her potty training, and, as I’d hoped, it sets the bar a little higher for Jube—I think. Not holding my breath yet though. Jube though, is such a good little worker. His latest request in the morning is for a list of jobs to do that he can cross off as he goes. He’s figured out how to create with Legos. I’m excited for him to wake up so that I can give him his dragon from Pappa and Nanna and his new lego board, from them too. First he has to fall asleep though. :) So this is our world today. Come have a look. It’s full of happy, healthy messes. (These are very good Twizzlers. They’re even the proper flavor—strawberry. Cherry Twizzlers are so lame. These are not.)

IMG_7237

This is what I call Kha or Galangal. I grow it in my yard. And the roots get put into the occasional soup. Notice the iced coffee in the back ground. I’m living on that today. (I like this picture a lot actually.)

   IMG_7238

Doesn’t look like much yet. So far all it is is chicken, potatoes, water, some kha, lemon grass, and onions. I will improve it a little later with some coconut powder, lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, salt and pepper—and whatever my husband adds when I ask him to come do a flavor check. So this was a constructive mess…

IMG_7239

Laundry in the for ground. Children playing with Lego in the back. They’re mixing and cooking them. My children use my kitchen things to play with occasionally.

IMG_7240

My man and his mess. He’s been working on filing a lot of English teaching books and papers. He didn’t get to this mess yet though.

IMG_7241

Havilah has taken an interest in the barn and farm animals. One of these days—I’d like to get to it today actually—I’m going to put half of the children’s toys away to pull out later. They have so many that don’t get played with. The barn and animals however, will stay available.

IMG_7242

The preschool mess from this morning. He didn’t get too far today, he was so tired. Eventually, the book got put away and they both settled for scribbling on printer paper instead. That pamper was the one I changed Havilah out of this morning. She hasn’t had an accident so far today, but she’s in a pull up right now because of nap time. Dru’s computer came in that bubble wrap. The children spent some time dancing on it this morning, to hear it pop.

IMG_7243

This is a close up of the cooks. See that flower pot in the background? That is a dying begonia. I simply can’t keep those things alive. Especially not this time of year. That long green thing is a kha stalk. Havilah was waving it about.

IMG_7244

The waiting clean laundry. I settled for washing only one load today. I have dreams of getting it all folded and put away but I don’t know if that’s realistic. Especially as I’m sitting here and not working at the moment. The pink things on the ironing board are Havilah’s panties. They’re kind of silly, but manage to be practical at the same time. That’s a picture of my mom and dad goofing off. But you can’t see it way down there on the floor very well. It finally fell of the wall Frank, you’ll have to come put it back up for me.

IMG_7245

This is my music player. My man got it for me for my birthday. It was playing happy music over the happy messes all morning. Rachel, that’s your apple cider vinegar there on the left. The bottle on the right is the Vitamin C I am feeding to my children like candy right now because they’re fighting something in their throats.

IMG_7246

The time of the day when I went about snapping pictures. Mom, I was just telling Dru again the other day how happy this wallpaper boarder makes me. It’s perfect. Thank you.

IMG_7247

Frank and Mom, this is for you. See my new for me cupboard. I think it originally was Ricks, then Lee’s and now it’s mine. I’m liking it. I’m going to get a curtain over that “hole”. It is rather all a mess right now. I’m kind of happy with the ugly clipboard on the wall. Now when I have recipes all over the kitchen, I can clip them in there and kind of pretend I’m organized anyway.  There is an imaginary hanging wire basket, you know, those with the three on top of each other, and the one at the top is small and the one at the bottom is biggest, hanging there in the corner from the ceiling. I hang my potatoes, onions, and garlic in it. Isn’t it perfect for that corner?

IMG_7262

Here’s what’s on the top right now. Yes, it’s good. Try it. I put a snitch of almond flavoring in the frosting and skipped candying the the nuts. I just used some slivered almonds and a few macadamia nuts. A very few because macadamias are not really the kind of nuts poor missionaries eat a lot of. Sorry, no pictures of my finished product. We ate it with the help of our small group. The rest of it is either in Arlin and Kayla’s fridge or their tummies. Unless Kimberly ate it all.

IMG_7248

Back to the kitchen. Suppers in the crock pot. And do you see that watermelon. It froze in the fridge. My fridge runs much to cold. I need to shut it off one day and let it defrost itself. Anyway, now the watermelon has been out of the fridge for a couple of days because when I put the before mentioned cake in, there was no longer room for it. But the thing still seems to be fine. So I need to cut into it and discover if it’s still eatable.

 IMG_7249

More of our mess. I was sitting on the rocker when Jube came up to me and asked, “Where’s that yellow air plane with eyeballs on it?” (It’s a playmobile toy.) I didn’t know and told him to go look in the toys. He meticulously emptied it and still didn’t find it. It was in the toy cupboard—not the basket. See, I told you we have too many toys.

IMG_7250

A tiny bit of beauty in the dry outdoors.

IMG_7251

Be brave little sunflowers! Poor guys. Even they can’t handle all this heat.

IMG_7252

Dry grass. Lots of it. There is one little patch of grass greening up because yesterday I left the water hose on for a couple hours accidentally. I think I should do that more often.

IMG_7253

Sad corner. A missing tree. Need I say more? That’s the kha, there behind the dreadful spirit house.

IMG_7254

Outside play has been abandoned. Too hot.

IMG_7255 

My new arrangement. see the tall candle on the right. It croaked and fell backwards in the heat.

IMG_7258

This is from Miriam. I hang it here and don’t let the children play with it because I think it’s so pretty.

  IMG_7264

And after taking those pictures I went and made another mess. Bev, thanks so much for the Valentine’s Party things. Even if they came late, they are fun. Today was the perfect day to get it out and make lunch a happy time—Jube was seriously losing his happiness by this time. This fixed it. Just plain old pbjs.

IMG_7265             IMG_7266

Bad pics here, but great kiddos to have around anyway.

6 comments:

  1. Someday I would like to come see you. But not when it's that hot. I would be like the candle and croak... or something. You have two lovely children. Good to hear from you again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisl Syd, loved this post of real life. Keep finding the joy in the messes! Shilah

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I love the heart shaped sandwiches and the cute kiddos eating them. Brings back lots of memories. Before you know it they will be taking driver's training! Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice to see pics of your life! I don't often take/have time to look at your blog. It's really OK to have messes sometimes. :) Keep living as you can! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gill alerted me to this great post, and to bring it home for Miriam :)
    Just to clarify-Naomi sent the dragon for Jube, because he enjoyed the Playmobil one. Don't credit [blame] Nana & Papa if the dragon starts eating things :)
    Hope you enjoyed the rocks also, we had some more to send, but they were waylaid by our mess.
    Love to you all, Papa for the Lattins
    PS as I was helping gather rocks w/ Timmy & Gideon, I wanted to tell Dru he needs to train his children to skip rocks, unless you do it better :). Do you have good skipping rocks there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post! I need to do something like this so I can look back and see how life was with the little ones running around! I'm pretty sure every house looks like that at one time or another with small kids in your life. Mine sure goes through phases of that every day! =) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete