Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Tuesday Rambles...

I would suggest that, as a character building activity, you make homemade marshmallows by hand. Mix them only with a whisk all the way up to the point of dumping them out to dry. I just got done doing it myself and my hands still feel a bit shaky. Perhaps I'm wimpy? I had to wonder if marshmallows were invented before or after electric mixers. Anyway, I'm thankful for the heavy duty whisk my man bought me.

We were going to buy an electric hand mixer but decided that, in this country, we may as well buy a mixer that can mix bread as well if we're going put the money out anyway. So I use my trusty whisk. And when it comes to kneading bread, I do it myself unless it's a bigger batch, or I'm in a hurry. Then I call on the man of the house to come help out. I would have asked him to help with the marshmallows, but he's gone this morning. Don't ask me why I decided to do this when his mighty arm wasn't around to call upon.

Mr. Jackson is still with us. And he does indeed squeeze in under the door. Jube and I watch him do so the other day. We took him outside into the yard--Jube chased him to the flowerpots--and then we went inside. (Well, there was also the part about Jube playing with him outside by the front door and he kept trying to hop into the house. So we took him to the yard where, much to Jube's consternation, he began to burrow himself into the ground and disappear beneath the grass. Jube dug him and and that's when he ran to hide among the flower pots.) And just a few minutes later I decided to go and see if I could find a hole from the outside that he was getting in, and behold, there was Mr. Jackson, about to make an entrance.

And just now I went to start the laundry and as usual, he was hiding in the dirty clothing that was hung over the rack. I had almost given up on finding him but there he was. I have this other fear that one day he'll hide in one of Dru's pockets and he really will get washed. Right now Jube is outside playing with him--laughing wickedly in the perspective of a frog, I'm sure. I don't know why he keeps coming back. Kathy says they had a returning frog once too, a year or two ago.

I think I need to go rescue Mr. Jackson from Jube and sew a curtain for my kitchen now. It's odd, but I actually have time for such projects. The other day I was trying to figure out why I didn't have time before now, and then, very quickly, I remembered that I'd been pregnant. I'm so thankful NOT to be pregnant right now and very thankful for the very sweetest little girl. Maybe hard pregnancies make sweet babies or something. Hmmm.

3 comments:

  1. PS. Marshmallows used to be a medicinal thing back when they had marshmallow root in them. Check it out. Oops...gotta go again. Jube is playing with Dru's Settler's game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didn't even know you could make marshmellows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoying hearing from you again...glad life is going better!!

    ReplyDelete