Friday, January 29, 2016

My fight with beauty

Today I sat down on my rocking chair and picked up a Victoria magazine. A friend gave me a subscription the summer we were in Wisconsin, and the magazines came with me—although I think a couple of them may be floating about at Lance’s yet. For the first time in a while I have my brains back in my head. Maybe it’s because the sun is shining today and I’m not wrapped in so many layers that I can barely move about the house. So the kiddos and I did some house work, a little bit of school, and I sat down and picked up my magazine.

IMG_2019

Something wakes up and breathes and shouts for joy at all of the eye candy on each page. The dainty dishes and vases, flower arrangements, linens, and food. I get inspired. I have a dream one day to do my own stamping onto linen—make my own designs. I realize that if I made it a priority, I could do that here and now. The supplies are available from the market anytime. Then I feel simultaneously guilty and trapped.

The guilty trapped feeling comes because of the country I live in. I know that there are Thai people who come into my home and are wowed by my “expensive decor.” I serve desserts on pretty plates…desserts that I have made from scratch—baked in my own oven. An oven is another luxury most Thai people do not have. We pay a bit more per month on our rent than some of our Thai friends do. I am supposed to be a missionary here, yet I am not willing to live in a house such as they do?

Little do they know that we foreigners struggle some puzzlement of our own about the way they live. Dru and I would never spend money on a large TV monitor. When we bought our first car, we were quite poor—yet we felt pressure, and not from our foreigner friends, to buy a car way out of our price range. Clothing and accessories are very important here in the Thai culture. There are exceptions – it doesn’t matter what the children wear for a quick trip to town – but what you wear seems to be a key expression of class and beauty for middle class Thais.

I can’t very well explain to them that most of the pretty things that sit around my house are gifts from friends and family. It’s silly to explain that I spent very little on doilies and tablecloths because I found them at second hand stores. Silly to say that most of the children’s toys were gifts from grandparents and nearly all of their books are second hand as well. It doesn’t really change appearances.

Throwing a small blue table cloth over an ugly pressboard coffee table comes as naturally as breathing to me.  Arranging pretty around my home is necessity. I live here, every day. I must have beauty or I die inside as the chaos of raising children and homeschooling and being pregnant overtakes me. I was raised in a beautiful home. I was taught that beauty is part of homemaking, and that there is virtue and wholesomeness in it. I was taught that I am the keeper of my home. That I am responsible to be here, and care for the needs of my family, physically, and spiritually, and however else. This is my spot. There is joy in it—when I can make pretty happen as part of that.

Were we Thai citizens, I suppose a good chunk of money would to to sending our two children to school. I’d be busy with work somewhere—so would Dru. I’d be gone all day, reaching home when the kiddos do. We’d own a large TV. We’d be making payments on two nice vehicles and a motorbike. I would possibly not wear second hand clothing…I don’t know, I just don’t know…

I also know that there are ways Thai people express beauty that I don’t even notice. I think they probably take their beauty to their workplace, where they spend much of their day. I’ll never appreciate the beauty of an intricate spirit house, but I know that is another expression. They create beautiful coffee shops and elaborate flower arrangements.

But what I want to stand up and shout to everyone is that I live the way I do because it comes as naturally to me as breathing. It’s not hard or expensive—it’s natural. I was merely taught to spend my time and my money in different ways. Right?

So, the magazine, the eye candy, the hope and happy I feel rising up within me as creativity strikes me, is suddenly squelched. And what breathed for a moment, ceased again, waiting for its moment…another day…maybe…Because for today, my expression of beauty seems to be a poor testimony.

Yet I know that I can no more quit creating beauty in my home than I can quit breathing. Deeply entrenched within me is the understanding that beauty and safety walk hand and hand. Somewhere inside I know that beauty is wholesome, and families thrive best when they are surrounded by it.

And I wonder if what isn’t hardest for me to accept in this life that I live right now, is that nearly everything I do, all the choices we make as a family, the very fact that I homeschool my children and even have 3, and soon 4 of them, is extremely counter-cultural here. Unheard of. And they don’t fail to let me know it—to my face. And why it’s okay to let me know so openly what they think, is one cultural thing I still haven’tn gotten used to, even in the seven plus years I’ve been here. I’m either considered very talented or downright foolish.  Regardless of what they actually say, I feel disapproval on some level. That’s not a pressure I’m handling very well, I’m afraid.

8 comments:

  1. Ah, friend. I really hear you. This is what came to my heart for you...

    God takes our best (as we do our best for our families and those around us) and He blesses it, treasures it, and uses it for His Kingdom.

    You are bringing Light to darkness. Don't forget that.

    Luv ya. ~Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what Rachel Dawn wrote. I get this post and I find this "my expression of beauty seems to be a poor testimony" can be true in my American culture too. Judgement of each others lifestyle happens in every culture. Mennonites can be really good at this. :) Let your light shine. Bigger than the blue cloth that no one finds value in. Your relationship with God is speaking loudest. Keep digging into that and yes God blesses it! Love, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you look around the world, you can see the beauty that our creator God made. He breathed it all around you and He made you into the creative being that you are. That is something to be celebrated.

    God has also gifted you with time (and a desire to use that time) for your family. To teach them and create a space for them to learn and love in.

    You already use that space a place of hospitality and ministry also.

    It is hard when we are faced with how different we are in this land and how much 'stuff' we have. It's not a bad thing to have awareness and to try to 'fit in' so that you can be more effective but please don't be consumed by it.

    Use the generosity that God has bestowed upon you to flow out to others. Don't be paralyzed with fear but use those special gifts of 'seeing' and 'creating' beauty for Him.

    You are being more like the Father when you do.

    He wants you to use the gifts He gave you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I'd love to see some of your printed linen ideas! Please pencil it in for a 'school project' before the baby comes!

      Delete
  4. Was so great to hear your heart. It has already been said and it is so true a person faces pressures everywhere. Just this morning I was again feeling pressure about my house and thinking how I should ask someone what else I could do. To be honest I even felt pressure or maybe it should be called jealousy at your natural talent to beauty. I was not blessed by that. But here is to giving everyone an open hand to be who God created them to be. My encouragement to you is to make your beauty and share it with those around you. You will serve more effectively by being you then by trying to fit in perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Lisl, My daughter. You do such a wonderful job of saying what I wanted to say so many years ago when I was learning how to make our poor, little, old stone house a beautiful home.
    Go ahead and breathe and use the blue cloth! Keep being inspired and content and real. Go ahead and bake the goodies and knock their socks off. Let the children help and make it a party. Have time and space for their creativity, too. Be sure to sit in the living room with them now and during the teens, the same living room they helped to keep pretty and clean. It’s a gift to them and you, as well. And share it with those people who you are worried about, happily and freely.
    Keep providing beauty and order for the children and your man. Pour your heart into it. They’ll thank you one day. I know this from experience. Go!
    Use what you have and the gifts that come and make the place sing. Keep it clean. Change it up. Pray about it. Invest. And hand it on to the children.
    Be who you are graciously and kindly. Decide to not take umbrage. Discouragement seems fleshly to me. And if you cave in to the doubt by squelching the need to breathe now it will always be the wrong time to begin. It doesn’t really matter what it feels people think now. It matters what your own people think 30 years from now. Mostly, it matters to God now and in 30 years what you did with your talent. The one God entrusted to you.
    Most of all, remember, we were specifically instructed to be keepers of our homes. And God gave you the happy advantage of loving to do it. It’s a great life!
    Cloth napkins and white lights to you, amg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somewhere inside I know that beauty is wholesome...I love that. And admire so much the people who know how to create beauty in their homes...not my strong forte. You have a gift to share with the people there. I don't know all the answers on relating with a different culture...but hang in there. God is using you. And maybe it's ok to show your culture as you also accept theirs, the same way it's ok to show our personalities as we also accept others. God celebrates differences.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bless you, Lisl, for penning what I've struggled with in America! And I endorse what your mother wrote. Be who God created you to be and enjoy what you like. We can in no way please everyone, no matter where we live! Thanks for sharing! Christina

    ReplyDelete