Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Happy Rainy Day

I remember the feeling as a little girl in Wisconsin, of waking up on a crisp fall morning and wondering if the crisp air would  blow in snow and if this would be the first day of winter. Because winter wasn't winter without any snow. It was happy anticipation. Upon opening the front door the smell of wood smoke would waft in. This was the end of fall, the beginning of winter.

It rained last night. This morning the sky is still overcast and the wind is whipping around outside. The fans are off and it's cool. I have to wonder if this is the first official day of rainy season. Official in that we get a day of rain all day long. Steady, and long, rain upon rain. The neighbors started a fire in their outdoor kitchen, and I got a whiff of wood smoke. I know this feeling. This anticipation. I love rainy season.

However, it does have its downside. I have laundry to do today and I'd better do a load, want to or not. A load a day. It's going to take 12- 24 hours to dry from here on out--if this is indeed rainy season officially starting. I don't have a dryer. I use good laundry softener, and vinegar in my laundry. Liquid laundry soap is always best this time of year. With a fan on it, I hope  the laundry will smell good by the time its dry. Chances are though that it won't always. Then I'm faced with the delema as to weather I can stand to wear it or have to wash it again.

Yesterday I took my fern out of the pot and sliced it into fourths and put one fourth back into the pot. I have three more pieces to give away. I gave Mae Wahn the other one I had potted. There was fern growing out of the pot and making runners in the grass. I pulled all that up. Well, most of it. Who's to say if I got it all. And then I got started on the other plant that needs dividing and such but alas, I found myself tuckered and we all came in for lunch. So that project sits out in the rain today and will be all the better for it.

Jube and Havilah are playing with Lego toys right now. Jube is still a bit cranky. Something's not quite right with his insides and I wonder if he doesn't have gas in his belly. I'm going to tackle that and get some vitamins into him. He's just been kind of draggy and whiny lately. Partially because he's not feeling real well for some reason and partially because he needs more one on one. After I got pregnant I needed nap time, which had been Jube and my time while Havilah slept. Well, now with me napping more, I'm working on making sure Jube and I have together time anyway somehow. He's kind of a high maintenance little boy right now, but we love him loads anyway.

Okay, gotta get my day on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment