Monday, February 20, 2012

Today’s Projects

First I made play dough for Jube. Soon before we went down to the beach, we set Jube up with a rolling pin, little cookie cutters, and clay. Since then he’s gone through about three sets of store bought clay (it’s cheap) and I was thinking that I’d like to see how he liked home made play dough. So a while ago already I had Dru buy me a bunch of salt for the project.
Today Jube was looking at pictures from when we were at the beach and came upon one of himself playing with his clay. He promptly came into the kitchen and pointed to his clay and said, “I want that thing.” I gave it to him but it was starting to dry out on top of being dirty and hairy. So I made him some play dough. I hadn’t made it since I’d made it when I was in labor with him over two years ago. But it turned out beautifully and he is very impressed. He didn’t complain at all about throwing the old stuff out.
And I tackled the flower bed project. I know it’s not level and I know that I didn’t have enough of the top bricks to go around. Tomorrow I’m going to go out and switch those two at the right to be around the back so you don’t notice them so much. But it’s still fun and pretty. And I did it all by myself except to have Dru come put the petunias up there. That is a very heavy flower pot.
IMG_2700
Do I need to turn to petunias to a more flattering angle?
IMG_2701
Dru likes these a lot and so do I. I hope they do well.
IMG_2702
I have a sneaking suspicion that I won’t really be the one to enjoy these flowers. I’m wondering if they won’t be at their most beautiful while I’m in the states.
IMG_2703
All of these new flower I planted so we’d have something we could pick and put on the table eventually. My dear son was picking the begonias and the impatiens now and then, so maybe this will be a better option.
Havilah and Jube were very helpful as I was doing this. Jube threw scoops of dirt in the air in an attempt to do it like was and Havilah wasn’t content until she was allowed to sit right in the middle of the project and be worked around. Then she proceeded to taste various dirt clods.
IMG_2705
I’m also going to mark my “pat grapaow” as holy basil so that it doesn’t get mistaken as weed and disposed of by the family who will live here while we’re in the states. So now you don’t have to ask me about the weed I’m carefully growing—I’ve already told you, it’s not a weed. I do need to cut it so it branches and gets nice and bushy now. Maybe I’ll root the cuttings and plant them too.
Dru could have done a way better job at taking these pictures, so maybe he’ll take some for me and post them himself.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, It is a lovely post. I enjoyed the flower project,too. It will be fun to visit with Jube. and to listen to Jube and Gwen converse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your flower beds are beautiful Lisl! Can't wait to see you guys:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisl, that boy of yours is smart. His skills and thinking processes are quick. Have fun keeping up with his inquistive mind. Precious boy he is. About the valentine with my husband.....we are planning a date night but I have a horrible cold right now and I want to feel good first....so soon it will happen. Thanks for noticing though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisl, did you put a strawberry plant in there? I so wanted to buy some at Samoeng at the strawberry festival and try it but well maybe another time. Naomi B.

    ReplyDelete